Norman Stanley "Stan", KEATING
World War 1, World War 2
From New Brunswick
Pte, CA, O/S; VGofC
Born 28 Feb 1898 in Westfield, Kings, New Brunswick Stan used his second name, rather than his first. Except for the times spent in the Army during both WWI and WWII, and one summer on the wheat fields of the Canadian west, Stan lived his adult life in Fairville, New Brunswick. He started out on Church Ave, in an apartment that is now #46, and where his widow resided at the time of her death. In between the family had lived on Harding Street and further down Church Ave. They eventually built a home at what became 573 Milford Road and lived there until the house was burned by arson in 1968. His son, Norman, now owns the property and has built a new home on the site.
He enlisted in 1916 and he served with the 115 Battalion of the 24th Company Overseas Service throughout WWI. After the first War he tried various jobs. He worked awhile on the Docks of the Saint John Port, and even tried a summer on the wheat fields out west, but he finally settled down to a steady job at the local pulp mill, on Mill St, Fairville (now Saint John West). This mill overlooked the world famous Reversing Falls, in the Saint John River. This employment was interrupted by his again joining the services for World War II where he served with the Veteran's Guards of Canada, No. 19. Although he traveled across Canada, he was never able to receive an overseas posting, much to his regret. He took stripes, and gave them up on a regular basis in an effort to "fit the category" of the next group to be sent to Europe. The local Post Master often joked with his wife as to what rank of soldier she was writing to that week.
After the second war Stan returned his job as a millwright at the Irving Pulp and Paper Mill where he worked until retirement in 1963. He was employed at the mill for 43 years, starting with previous owners.
After his retirement Stan bought a winterized log cabin on Burchill Road (near Spruce Lake) and lived there until his first bad attack, which led to his hospitalization in the DVA Hospital. For awhile after his release he returned to the Milford Road property, and was there when it was burnt to the ground by an arsonist in March of 1968. They lived in seveal apartments for a short while until they moved into a small apartment on Church Ave. (#149) where they were living when he died.
His last winter was spent in failing health. He died in the Lancaster DVA Hospital on Wednesday, July 3rd, 1970, shortly past 3:00, of heart failure. He was buried from Calvin Funeral Home, 309 Lancaster Ave, at 2:00 pm, on Friday 3rd. July. Interment was at the Good Shepherd Cemetery.
Parents: Andrew & Lillie May KEATING
Spouse: Cleadie Gertrude BANKS
Buried in Good Shepherd Cemetery, NB
Sources:Canadian Over-seas Expeditionary Forces Attestation Papers: Personnel Records of the First World War
[KEATING, STANLEY NORMAN / Regimental number(s): 742573 / Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 5019 - 48 / Date of Birth: 28/02/1897]Cleadie B. Barnett