This is the third and present site for St John the Baptist Cemetery. The first cemetery was located on Bathurst Street and was destroyed by fire in 1843. The second cemetery was located near the present church site on Brock Street. The gravestone of Violet Semande, who died at age 3 years in 1806 appears to be the oldest headstone. This headstone along with some others were likely moved to the third cemetery.
The land for the current cemetery was purchased on 26 Dec 1857 from Eustache Bastien, but the land wasn't utilized until 1864. Originally 27-3/10 acres were bought at a cost of 500 British pounds. The diocese then sold 23-3/10 acres in 1864 to Joseph Renaud for $850. There remained 4 acres to be used as the cemetery.
During the 20th century additional property has been added to a total of approximately 11 acres. St John the Baptist Cemetery is next to Rose Hill Cemetery, combined they are also referred to as the Amherstburg Cemeteries.
This index represents ALL visible headstones still in existence at the time this cemetery was visited