During the French regime, a burial ground at Fort Frontenac was in use between Nov 1747 and Mar 1752. There are at least ten recorded burials: five native children between the ages of two and nine, one adult native age 20, one French child age 3, two French adults aged 23 and 40, and one aboriginal child of unknown age. No records exist but it's presumed that men stationed at their garrison and their families were also buried here or nearby. Burial records are kept at the Notre Dame Church archives in Montreal.
Fort Cataraqui, later renamed Fort Frontenac, was built by the French in 1673 as a trading post and military fort at the mouth of the Cataraqui River. The fort was destroyed by the British in 1758 and left in ruins until it was reconstructed in 1783. It was turned over to the Canadian Military in 1870 and is still in use by the Canadian Dept of National Defence college.
Plaque on site: "Here stood Fort Cataraqui or Frontenac built by Count de Frontenac in July, 1673, and rebuilt by LaSalle in 1675. For many years the key to the west, the base of LaSalle's explorations and a French outpost against the Iroquois and the English. Abandoned 1689, rebuilt 1696, captured by British troops under Colonel John Bradstreet, 27th August, 1758. Erected 1926."
Some persons named in this index may not be interred in this cemetery, they are designated as spouse or parent on appropriate stones and may not have their own birth and death recorded here (See our FAQ).
Women, if maiden names are known, will appear under both their maiden and married names.
This index represents ALL visible headstones still in existence at the time this cemetery was visited