Church / Denomination: originally Wesleyan Methodist then in 1869 changed to Eden Church
Registered to City of Mississauga. Eden Cemetery and Switzer's Church were on part of the west half of Lot 10, Concession 6 West in Toronto Township. The 100 acre farm which John Switzer received in 1834 from his father Samuel Switzer who bought all of lot 10 in 1830. The family of Samuel Switzer had been in the immediate area from 1824, and John had been on the farm since his marriage to Jane Orr in 1826. On 29th of January 1840, John Switzer sold 42 perches (40 perches equals 1/4 acre) for 5 pounds, to 5 trustees of the Wesleyan Methodist Church for the site of a chapel and burying ground. A frame church (Switzer's Church) was erected on December 13, 1840, by Reverend Egerton Ryerson. The church measured 60 feet by 20 feet and held up to 300 people for congregation. The church allowed services to be moved from Switzer's Schoolhouse (built in 1820's). The frame church remained until 1869 when it was dismantled upon the completion of Eden Church. The new Eden Church was built in brick and opened on February 2, 1869. It was built on the opposite side of the road from Switzer's Church, no longer on the Switzer property, but on Isaac Waite's farm. The cemetery remained where Switzer's Church had been. Eden Church burned down on December 20, 1908, but was rebuilt in little more than one year on its original foundations, with the reopening occurring on January 9, 1910. Today the cemetery stands alone as the Eden Church was demolished in August 1980.
GENEALOGY RESOURCES (Add / Remove a link)
These links are provided for your convenience and may take you to websites that offer products and/or services for sale. CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project does not control the content offered - take note of our site design, if it changes you've left this website!
SOURCES / THANKS
Some persons named in this index may not be interred in this cemetery. They are designated as spouse or parent on appropriate stones, and may not have their own birth and death recorded here (See our FAQ).
Women, if maiden names are known, will appear under both their maiden and married names.
This index represents ALL visible headstones still in existence at the time this cemetery was visited
|CANTELON, Inkerman 1872 - 1941|
|CANTELON, Jane (Rutledge) 1870 - 1955|
|CANTELON, Kate 1870 - 1923|
|CANTELON, Wilmer 1897 - 1934|
|CAREY, Edward 1869 - 1885 (age: 15)|
|CAREY, Fanny 1833 - 1880 (age: 47)|
|CAREY, Henrietta ? - 1880 (age: 1m)|
|CAREY, William C 1823 - 1892 (age: 69)|
|CHAMBERS, Frederick 1870 - 1950|
|CHAMBERS, Mary May (Lefar) 1836 - 1911|
|CHAMBERS, Phoebe M V (Marshall) 1876 - 1941|
|CHAMBERS, Walter 1873 - 1955|
|CHAMBERS, William B 1869 - 1938|
|CHEYNE, Ethel footstone|
|CHEYNE, George footstone|
|CHEYNE, Jane A 1840 - 1923|
|CHEYNE, Mary Ethel (Sparling) 1879 - 1961|
|COOK, Adam ? - 1878|
|COOK, Ann (Coyne) 1825 - 1905|
|COOK, Peter 1812 - 1891 (age: 79)|
|COOK, William 1823 - 1855 (age: 32)|
|CORDINGLY, Abigail 1891 - 1970|
|CORDINGLY, Rebecca Ann 1861 - 1897 (age: 36)|
|COYNE, Ann 1825 - 1905|
Correct a name / Request a removal: Corrections & removal requests can be made using the form found on the name page. From the index above, locate the name in question, click on it, and fill out the form on that page.