What do the fields represented on a place name page mean?
Place Name* (Type of Place**)
*Place Name: The current or last known name of a place
**Type of Place: What kind of place this is. A City, Town, Village, Land Formation, etc.
If it's unknown what type of place you will see ( ).
For a listing of the types of places represented on the Ontario Locator please the Locator Dictionary
Status of Place Name:
- "Currently Exists" (place is still an officially recognized place name)
- "No Longer Exists" (perhaps known by another name or completely extinct)
- "Misplaced" (existence or location cannot be confirmed)
- "Mis-Spelled" (a query submitted that was mis-spelled)
- "Not-Ontario" (a query submitted that was found to be located outside Ontario)
Other Names (also known as): Other Names this place may be currently known as
Former Name(s): Names this place used to have (e.g. Ottawa used to be called Bytown)
Geographic / Historic Location: Where this place was geographically or historically located.
Municipal Location: The municipality this place is part of
Other Location: A more specific location such as "4 miles from"
Former Locations: Where this place was formerly located if a township, county, district or municipality boundary changed. (e.g. All places currently in Leeds and Grenville United Counties were formerly either in Leeds County or Grenville County)
A brief history of this place if available
Other information about this place that may be useful
Source of Information: Where any of the information used to compile the data on this place originated. This is a new field and blank for most place names.
Link: Link to the official website for this place if available