MB Cemeteries: CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project

Hillsburg Timber / St John The Baptist Russian Orthodox Cemetery, Hillsburg RM, MB


Hillsburg Timber / St John The Baptist Russian Orthodox Cemetery
Community: Timber
Township: SE 28-28-27 W
Locality: Hillsburg RM
Municipality: Parkland Region
Province: MB
GPS: 51.420617,-101.201625

Church / Denomination: St. John The Baptist Ukrainian Orthodox Church, no longer exists

This cemetery was desecrated by someone who broke the headstones and ploughed the cemetery over in a rivalry between the Orthodox & Catholics.

The cemetery is located in the South-East corner of the South-West quarter of Section 28 Township 28, Range 27, W1. It is « mile east of Hwy. 584 and 5 miles north from Merridale (Roblin area), Manitoba.

The land for the church and cemetery was donated by Mr. S. Andronyk approx. 1916 and the church was built under his leadership in 1923. The priests came from Calder, a Russian mission in Saskatchewan. Mr. Elaschuk was the cantor. The church was small, approx. 12? x 18?, and only held a few pews and was later lost in a fire. Reference: Shell River Municipality Century One 1884-1984 Memories of Roblin & Rural Districts.

The following information is provided based on a brief visit to the cemetery by Carol and Oliver Trowski on October 1, 2013:

    The cemetery is in heavy bush on the west slope of a high point of land and not accessible by road.

    Easiest accessibility is by crossing a fenced grain-field from where the Timber School used to be, and going in a south-easterly direction to a marshy area and creek then straight south up the hill along a cleared zone.

    The central part of the cemetery, where the memorials are situated, is overgrown with shrubs and grasses with the ground surface heavily covered with natural debris.

    This area is fringed with many young growth trees and shrubs. Beyond that is the original growth of older trees. Further east of the cemetery area is a cluster of larger trees growing on what appears to be a rubble mound.

    There are 7 concrete memorials grouped at the west side of the clearing and within this area there seem to be shallow surface irregularities (mounds and depressions) suggesting existence of other graves.

    During the summer of 1999, Father Richard Ehrmantraut and several local neighbours were there to clear trees and bush, and bless the cemetery. At that time there were some standing wooden crosses while others were found discarded in the bush south west of cemetery.

    It's apparent that based on the present condition of the area around the grave sites that some more recent clearing work has been done.

    Note: We would appreciate any information, comments or queries. Please direct these to: Carol & Oliver Trowski, rot@mymts.net



GENEALOGY RESOURCES   (Add / Remove a link)
These links are provided for your convenience and may take you to websites that offer products and/or services for sale. CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project does not control the content offered - take note of our site design, if it changes you've left this website!
SOURCES / THANKS
  • George E. Fedyck
  • Carol & Oliver Trowski

  • Some persons named in this index may not be interred in this cemetery, they are designated as spouse or parent on appropriate stones and may not have their own birth and death recorded here (See our FAQ).

    Women, if maiden names are known, will appear under both their maiden and married names.



    Photos courtesy of Carol & Oliver Trowski [2013]


    This index represents ALL visible headstones still in existence at the time this cemetery was visited

    SHARE THIS PAGE!



    © Copyright 2004- CanadaGenWeb's Cemetery Project